Three days of following and participating in this past weekend’s writers conference have come to a close. Since it was uncommonly busy for me being on Halloween I opted to not bring books or promotional materials as a way of simplifying. Seeing as I did get to spend almost enough time reading and watching scary movies as I wanted, it all worked out even though I wasn’t present in the dealers room or at after-parties.
To further ease that, here is a list of some of the books and podcasts mentioned in the panels I was on. This conference offers some really great workshops, panels and reading from mainly fantasy and science fiction work, but does have some really rich horror content. Often these genres are blended and as much as I’d love a horror-only event such as this, having Can-Con here in Ottawa makes it so easily accessible.
Horror Reading panel:
- Psychos: Serial Killers, Depraved Madmen and the Criminally Insane, edited by John Skipp – specifically ‘Jesse’ by Steve Rasnic Tem and ‘Life With Father’ by Bentley Little on Amazon
- The New Black: A Neo-Noir Anthology, edited by Richard Thomas – specifically ‘Father, Son, Holy Rabbit’ by Stephen Graham Jones on Amazon
- Carnal Surgery, by Edward Lee, a collection of gory and boundary-pushing short stories on Amazon
- People Live Still in Cashtown Corners, by Tony Burgess on Amazon
- Something Red podcast
- This Is Horror podcast
- Horror Writer’s Association new releases
- The Wicked Library episode Bad Shepherd by Lydia Peever
Ghost Story panel:
- Ghosts by Hans Holzer, if not his entire body of work on Amazon
- Growing up Haunted by Alexandra Holzer, Hans’ daughter on Amazon
- Summer, Fireworks, and My Corpse by Otsuichi, on Amazon
- The Entity by Frank De Felitta, on Amazon and the film from 1980 to be remade by James Wan
- Kettle Whistle Radio episode 35 Talkin’ Ghosts and the episode 118 where we discuss The Entity
In both I mentioned the podcast I co-host with Wes Knipe, Dead Air, part of splatterpictures.net and my favourite horror film and discussion podcast Bind Torture Kast. The stories I’ve written that were mentioned can be found in my small collection Pray Lied Eve, and the West Pigeon Press anthology For When The Veil Drops. For other works, check out my Amazon author page or find me on Goodreads.